Honeymoon Story

Storms Never Last - Lyrics by Waylon Jennings
Performed by Dr. Hook


Friday March 1, 1985 - We left Independence, MO at 9:30 a.m. and dropped off the van at Forsyth Travel Library. We then took I-35 and Hwy 56 to Cimarron, KS arriving at Kathy J's about 5:00 p.m. We had a delicious dinner at Pat Mier's and spent the night.

Saturday March 2, 1985 - We left Cimarron, KS (134,344 miles on the odometer) at 9:00 a.m. and headed south on Hwy 23 to Hwy 54 through Amarillo, TX. We stopped for the night at Gaines County Park between Seagraves and Seminole, TX on Hwy 385. There were no other campers, but a cute little black puppy. The night was windy and Michael was nervous.

Sunday March 3, 1985 - We broke camp at 8:15 and took Hwy 385 south toward Big Bend National Park. We stopped in Fort Stockton, TX for groceries and arrived at campsite #53 in the Basin Campground at 3:00 p.m. (It had been windy and hot driving).

March 4, 1985

It was a beautiful warm, still night last night. A family of three deer outside our tent door.

Today we hiked the Lost Mine Trail and did some further (6 miles) exploring up there. Sunny and 70 degrees, chilly wind. We have sunburned faces.

March 5, 1985

Hiked over Window Trail to Cattail Falls. Stopped to talk with some hikers from Southfield, Michigan. Stopped at Window Falls. No Columbine yet at Cattail Falls. Beautiful sunny clear day and hot.

March 6, 1985

We hiked 4.5 miles to Emory Peak, windy and slightly hazy but sunny and beautiful. We continued to Boot Spring and west half of South Rim then back to camp via Laguna Meadows Trail. A total of 15 miles and we were hurting.

March 7, 1985

We stayed in camp and got more sunburn, packed up our gear for tomorrows hike and went to a nature walk at Panther junction. We watched Peccaries around our camp.

March 8, 1985

We took down camp and hit the Pinnacles Trail to Boot Spring and saw 6 deer at the Ranger Station while getting our permit. The Juniper Canyon Trail was agonizing. Straight down with loose rock. Our packs were heavy and we were aching all over when we reached a level spot to set up camp. It took about 4 hours altogether, 2 hours from Boot Spring. We hiked down to Juniper Canyon Road after dropping off our gear. 

March 9, 1985

We slept good and it was a beautiful clear night. We watched two bucks all morning on the next ridge over as we prepared our breakfast and took down camp. The trail back was steep but easier. We made it to Boot Spring in 2 hours and decided to camp there. We boiled our drinking water and a ranger came by to check our permit.

March 10, 1985

We hiked down from Boot Canyon. There were no vacant sites in the Basin Campground, so we washed up and drove down to Cottonwood Campground and found a barren sunny site. We put up the tent, unloaded our gear, and headed for Ojinaga (135,098 miles). We stopped at LaKiva Bar in Terlingua. We had dinner in Ojinaga at the La Fogata and spent the night in Rohana Motel. ($12.20)

March 11, 1985


Beth lay awake most of the night worried about the car parked out on the Ojinaga street. It was still in one piece in the morning. We went to the bakery for "pig cookies", bought a blanket and a few groceries. We drove back to Presidio, Texas for gas and more groceries and then back to our camp at Cottonwood in the hot afternoon. We went to Santa Elena Canyon, lots of noisy people, but cool shade. We talked to our neighbors from Michigan, who were leaving the next morning, and we would move into their shady campsite.

March 12, 1985

An animal, probably a ring tail, got in our food box  and ate most of our bread last night. It was a beautiful starry night. We moved to new shady site at dawn. We hiked the Top of Burro Mesa Pour-off Trail and the bottom of same in the morning. We stayed in camp during the afternoon. We saw wet bat down by the river, looked lost and sick trying to crawl around on the ground. We watched a woodpecker in our cottonwood tree tap-tapping all day and a Great Horned Owl in a nearby tree hooting at dusk.

March 13, 1985

We hiked the Apache Canyon Trail. It was cloudy and windy - kept us cool. Pretty desert scenery and colorful reds and oranges in the canyon. (About 8 miles round trip) Very windy back at camp in the afternoon, windy night.

March 14, 1985

We left camp by 7:00 to move down to Rio Grande Village Campground on the eastern side of the Park. No problem finding a site though Park has been full. We did laundry and went to Boquious Canyon for lunch. Windy and cool, but pleasant. We walked the Rio Grande Village Nature Trail. We had bunny rabbits in our campsite #31, went to bed early. It rained during the night.

March 15, 1985

It was still raining this morning, slight but steady. We broke camp and went to Basin Campground. There was no electricity anywhere in the Park. We couldn't leave until we got our mail at 11:30, meanwhile, we parked at vacant campsite #53. We left, sadly, at 1:00 PM after mail and lunch. The electricity was back on so we could get gas at Panther Junction. We drove east on highway 90, stopping in Langtry, Texas and touring the Judge Roy Bean Bar & Museum, to Seminole Canyon State Park. We arrived at 6:00 Pm, cloudy and cool all day. We had hot showers.

 March 16, 1985

We left camp before 7:00 AM and fixed breakfast at the Pecos River overlook 1 mile from camp. Very wet foggy morning. Campground was open and noisy with kids and dog. We had a nice breakfast view, flocks of Turkey Vultures on the bridge and in the air. We took a 7 mile hike to the Rio Grande River at Seminole Canyon State Park. We saw Indian Pictographs and forget-me-nots on the trail. We had lunch in the parking lot, then drove to Del Rio, Texas. The campground was ugly so we decided to go on to San Antonio.

March 17, 1985

We had arrived in Sa Antonio, Texas at Mark Kreiger's about 6:00 pm the night before. Mark was home, but the family was away for the weekend.

Mark took us on a tour of San Antonio. River Walk, where we took a river boat ride, the  Alamo, the Texas Culture Museum, and Market Place. We had lunch at Mi Tierra. Nice day, partly cloudy and mild, 60 degrees. We watched a movie, The Natural, in the evening.

March 18, 1985

We stayed at Marks, he was at work, and watched soaps and went grocery shopping. Men came to plant trees. We cooked dinner outside.

 March 19, 1985

We hung around the house again. Virginia and Jenny came home around 6:00 pm from Midland, Texas. We had pizza and stayed up until midnight talking.

March 20, 1985

We were up at 8:00 am and had coffee and blueberry muffins with Virginia. It was a beautiful clear blue sunny sky. Mark came home for lunch and then we left about 1:00 pm. We drove up Highway 281 to the LBJ National Historic Site. We camped at Inks Lake State Park where it rained hard at dinner time, then stopped.

March 21, 1985

We were up at 6:00 am, overcast and cool. Saw three deer while having breakfast. We took down camp and left by 7:15 am, lots of deer in the area. We stopped at Longhorn Caverns State Park but didn't want to pay $8.00 fee to see it. We drove around all day, overcast and cool. Stopped at Meridian State Park and took a short hike. We stopped at Dinosaur Valley State Park but didn't see any footprints in the river due to high water. We camped at Cleburn State Park.

March 22, 1985

Dogs barked all night. The sun shone in the morning. We left camp at 7:30 am and drove East and then South on Texas Highway 14. We stopped at Fort Parker, beautiful sunny day, scenery not so pretty, but lots of Blue Bonnets and Indian Paint Brush along roads. It was a long day in the car getting to Austin, Texas. We finally arrived about 4:00 pm (136,607 miles). We went to dinner at a Mexican restaurant with Bill and Lil and Debbie and Broughton.

March 23, 1985

Bill and Lil took us for a drive around Austin. We stopped at the Oasis overlooking Lake Travis for drinks and snacks. Another beautiful day. We went for a 6 mile walk along the Colorado River in City Park.

March 24, 1985

We went to Hyde Park Baptist Church with Bill and Lil. Took another walk along the Colorado River and washed the car. Debbie and Broughton came for dinner.

 March 25, 1985

We left Bill and Lil's and went to LaNell and Charlie's, had lunch and visited all afternoon. Their son Charles and his wife came for steak dinner.

March 26, 1985

We had a delicious big breakfast and spent the morning looking through photo albums. Overcast and cool, fixed sandwiches with leftovers and headed East about 1:00 pm. The scenery was beautiful along Highway 71 around LaGrange, Texas. The flowers were gorgeous, we camped at Stublefield National Forest Campground in Sam Houston National Forest. (136,820 miles).

March 27, 1985

Tall Pines here. It rained at least 2" overnight. The tent floor was wet, journal soaked! Dismal most of the day. We stayed in the tent and played Scrabble. The sun came out for awhile in the afternoon and we took a walk. We stayed here again this night.

March 28,1985

We broke camp at 9:00 am and drove East to Livingston by Big Thicket area, but saw nothing of interest. Headed South to the Johnson Space Center and toured from 2:00 - 4:30 pm. We then drove to Brazos Bend State Park. There were lots of deer at dusk, pretty park. This was the first campground we had pulled into where there were signs warning about alligators. We were awakened in the night by loud crashes and what we thought were thrashing noises only to discover it was a raccoon in the trash can.

March 29, 1985

We broke camp at 9:00 and left for Houston, Texas. We arrived in Houston at 11:00 and met Linda Verline for lunch at the Hyatt at 12:30. Paid $1.00 per half hour for parking. Nice lunch, Mexican food and margaritas. We left at 2:30 headed north and camped at Martin Dies Jr. State Park on highway 190. Nice breeze off lake kept mosquitoes away, some rain during the night.

March 30, 1985

We broke camp at 8:30 am and drove out of Texas through Leesville and up into Kitatchie National Forest. Overcast with some light showers but some patches of pleasant sun. We enjoyed the area around Dogwood Campground. The dogwood was blooming in the forest. Azaleas bloomed in yards. We camped at Stuart Lake Campground. Rainy and not so pretty, ate supper in the car.

March 31, 1985

Chilly morning, but dry. Blue sky and sunshine. We broke camp at 10:30 and drove to Jena, Louisiana. We stayed with Mary and Mitch. She fixed a big lunch and we visited all day. Myrtle Marie came over in the evening.


April 1, 1985

We left Jena, Louisiana at 10:30 after a big breakfast with Mary and Mitch. We bought Community Coffee at Kendricks store and drove to Natchez, Mississippi. There were large Antebellum Mansions with lots of azaleas in bloom. We drove south on highway 61 to Baton Rouge, then east on I-12 to Fairview Riverside State Park. The park was full of RV's but quiet with pretty magnolia and pine trees. Peacocks cried in the campground.

April 2, 1985

We broke camp about 9:45 and drove across causeway to New Orleans. Pretty sunshiny day! We had coffee and beignets at Cafe DeMond and walked around from 11:00 to 1:30, got parking ticket. We headed out east on I-10 to 49 north and camped at Big Biloxi Campground in the DeSoto National Forest. Pretty river, but chilly night with bright moon.

 April 3,1985

Birds woke us up at 6:30 am. We drove along the coast and stopped in Gulfport, Mississippi at Gulf Islands National Seashore. A beautiful day and a nice visitors center. Saw a black snake. We stopped in Pensacola, Florida and toured the Naval Air Museum and Ft. Barracus, then headed east on highway 98. We drove north and hit I-10 to Tallahassee and camped at Silver Lake Campground in National Forest. We put up the tent in the dark (9:30), pretty moon.

April 4, 1985

Nice campground. We took a walk around the lake and left about 11:00 am. We arrived Anne's via I-10, I-75, 17, and 44 about 5:00 pm.

April 5, 6 and 7, 1985

We spent rainy days at Anne's and enjoyed a visit  with her son Carl on Saturday. On Easter Sunday, we went to the First Presbyterian Church in DeLand, Florida. It was a beautiful service, excellent sermon and music.

April 8, 9, and 10, 1985

On Monday the 8th of April, we drove to The Kennedy Space Center and toured the facilities. We saw alligators, bald eagle nests and great blue herons.

We stayed at Anne's Tuesday and Wednesday, took a 10 mile hike in the Ocala National Forest on Tuesday.

April 11 and 12, 1985

On Thursday we left Anne's and drove to Bradenton, Florida. We spent a couple of hours on the beach and stopped at the Sandbar Restaurant on Anna Maria Island and the Pier Restaurant on the Manatee River in Bradenton where Beth had worked in 1977.

We spent the night and the next day at Beth's Dad's in Sugar Creek Campground east of Bradenton. It was rainy on Friday.

April 13, 1985

We left Bradenton and drove to Ft. Pierce, Florida to visit Loretta.

April 14, 1985

Loretta took us to the beach on the Atlantic side and we swam in the ocean.

April 15, 16, 17, 18, 1985

We left Ft. Pierce on Monday the 15th and drove to Palm Beach, Florida and spent the next three days there with Curtis.

April 19, 1985

Beths Mother and Ann arrived at Curtis's about 4.00 pm and we all went to the beach.

April 20, 1985

We drove to Lantana to see where Curtis works, then toured the Flagler Museum in Palm Beach. Curtis showed us her new house.

April 21, 1985

We went to Loxahatchee Wildlife Refuge with Curtis, Delta, Anne, Doris, Alan, Charles, and Ian. We road an air boat and saw an alligator baby being snatched away by a Great Blue Heron. We had lunch at Doris' and drove back to Palm Beach from Boca Raton. Anne left to go back to Lake Helen. The landlord brought over an injured owl.

April 22, 1985

We spent the day in Palm Beach.

April 23, 1985

We left Curtis' with Delta and drove up I-95. We stopped at Ft. Pierce and had lunch with Loretta and Ursula. We arrived at Anne's around 5:00 pm.

April 24,1985

We went to Epcot after dropping Delta at the Orlando Airport. It was a beautiful day! Exhausting but fabulous. We spent 10 hours touring Epcot and Disney.

April 25, 1985

We spent the day with Anne and went to Blue Springs State Park where we saw owl, alligator, eel, and a hawk nest.

April 27, 1985

There were raccoons in the neighbors food last night. We hiked 4 miles through the dunes and beach and saw four tortoises in their burrows. Beautiful wide undeveloped beach. We laid out for 2 hours and swam. We broke camp at 2:00 pm and drove north on I-95. We camped at Ft. McAllister State Park and saw a movie about small game hunting. There were unbearable sand gnats upon our arrival in the late afternoon, and lots of other pesky bugs, too.

April 28, 1985

We broke camp at 9:00 am and drove to Savannah, Georgia and walked around until 11:00 then drove up highway 17 to Charleston, South Carolina. Rained a little. Pretty city. We headed north on highway 41 through the Francis Marion National Forest and camped at Guilliard Lake Campground. It was beautiful and secluded, no other campers and lots of birds singing, bullfrogs croaking, and fish jumping.

April 29, 1985

We spent another night at Guilliard Lake and drove to Andrews, South Carolina for money. We took another walk around the lake and discovered that it flowed in and out with the tide. The Santee River was just a short distance through the woods. A "galloping" black snake passed us and we saw a beige/bronze viper type snake along the path. The air was full of the smell of honeysuckle and hummingbirds abounded. There were tall cypress trees on our walk to the river.

April30, 1985

 Click the bird to hear birdsongs

We recorded the bird symphony and broke camp at 9:00 am. We drove to Moore's Landing but the ferry wasn't running to Bulls Island so we drove to the Sand hill Wildlife Refuge, then west and camped in the Santee National Forest. Finally saw some hill country with the whippoorwills calling on the Broad River.


May 1, 1985

We spent the day at our campsite in Waid's Ferry Campground in the Sumter National Forest. We read and lay in the sun and took a short hike. Saw one black snake. Beautiful sunny day.

May 2, 1985

We broke camp at 8:30 am and drove to Union, South Carolina, stopped at a Ranger Station. We drove around looking for the Hunt Camp Scenic Campground, rainy, and had lunch there (no picnic table). We then drove on to Parson Mountain Lake Campground, rainy, but nice campground with a small lake. We saw a family of Canadian Geese all in a row, five babies. There was only one other camper from DeLand, Florida and he told us all about Abbyville and its Civil War history. Rained hard during the night.

 May 3, 1985

No rain this morning. We broke camp and headed for Walhalla. We set up camp at Burrell's Ford Campground in the Sumter National Forest and hiked to Kings Creek Waterfall (1/2 mile). We camped on Chattooga River in a walk in site (used backpacks) and met Tom and Sally Tetting and their daughter, Miriah.

May 4, 1985

We hiked 4 miles one way down the river (south) past Big Falls. Beautiful river with wild iris, trillium, and ladies slipper blooming. We shared  a nice campfire with the Tetting's. The campground was full of weekenders.

May 5, 1985

We hiked another 4 miles one way up river (north) to Ellicott Rock where the borders of North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia meet. We lay out in the middle of the river on a big rock. We took showers at Cherry Hill Campground nearby and shared another campfire with the Tetting's. The campground cleared out of all weekend campers.  

May 6, 1985

We broke camp and headed for Highlands, North Carolina via Highway 28. Winding mountain roads passed some waterfalls on highway 64. (Bridal Veil Falls and Dry Falls) We camped in Chattahoochee National Forest on Lake Conasuaga Loop B. It was a long 16 mile drive over dusty climbing dirt road to get there. There were no other campers and it had a nice lake with a swim area. We hiked 2 miles to Grassy Mountain Tower. It was hazy, but the view was still beautiful. Lots of Turkey Vultures on the tower.

May 7, 1985

We drove to Chattanooga, Tennessee and toured the tourist trap known as Ruby Falls, then drove northeast to Cherokee National Forest. We had a flat tire and did our laundry in Etowah, Tennessee. 17 miles east of Tellico Plains, we camped at Spivey Cove Campground. The road followed the beautiful Tellico River Branch. It rained during the night.

May 8, 1985

It was a rainy morning, but Beth managed pancakes and two cups of coffee. We broke camp at 9:30 am and drove back through Tellico Plains up highway 68 to Madisonville then to Marysville and on to Smokey Mountain National Park. We stopped in Gatlinburg for a new fuel container for the stove and camped at Cades Cove Campground. Rainy, and not a pretty campsite with the sites all snug together. The rain finally stopped for suppertime and we took a drive along Cades Cove Loop. We saw many deer and woodchucks, a raccoon up a tree. It was a beautiful meadow with mountains all around.

May 9, 1985

It was rainy, we waited till noon then broke camp after unpacking our loaded backpacks, too wet to hike. We drove to Big Creek Primitive Campground on the northeast side of the park and camped on roaring creek in a secluded spot (only one other camper). Michael amazed Beth by building a great fire with wet wood. Our neighbor, Linda, joined us for awhile.

May 10, 1985

We were up at 8:00 am, still no sun, but not raining. We hiked 10 miles round trip up an old railroad bed that followed Big Creek upstream. It was a nice hike, easy grade, but there were no bears :( There was a slight drizzle in the afternoon. Michael built another fire and we heated water in a pail for baths. The sun finally broke through about 5:00 pm!

May 11, 1985

We hit the Mt Sterling trailhead at 8:30 am. A strenuous 12 mile hike round trip with a steady climb all the way to the top where an old fire tower stood. A nice view in partly cloudy skies. There were a few other hikers. Our bodies ached when we finished. We had a fire and more rain. A new neighbor, Bob, shared our fire.

May 12, 1985

We broke camp about 10:30 am and headed for Cataloochee Campground, the sun was shining enough to dry the tent. We walked to the end of the road and back, about 6 miles round trip. It rained in the afternoon, the tent was wet again. We took an evening drive to the end of the road (Twice) and saw lots of deer. One herd of about 8 frolicking in the meadow. They seemed to be glad the rain had stopped.

May 13, 1985

We hung our stuff on a line to dry in the sun and went on a hike. We took part of Boogerman Loop and returned via Fork Ridge Trail to Cataloochee road. We saw several deer on the trail, two bird nests on trailside (one with eggs and one with babies), and two rust colored grouse. It rained before we made it back to camp, 10-1/2 miles round trip. We took another late afternoon drive to see deer.

May 14, 1985

We broke camp at 11:00am after waiting for sunshine to dry our tent. It didn't, so we left anyway. We drove to Ashville, North Carolina and got groceries. We took the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway north and stopped at Blowing Rock for mail (we had our mail forwarded ahead of where we planned on being in the neighborhood of next). We then headed west into Tennessee and camped at Cardens Bluff Campground in the Cherokee National Forest on Lake Watauga. It was one of the nicest campgrounds we've had. The tent faced out on the lake sitting on a terraced lot. We had a campfire.

May 15, 1985
We broke camp and drove north to Mt. Rogers National Recreation Area and had lunch at Beartree Campground. Nice lake for fishing and swimming. We then drove on to highway 81 west to Pennington Gap and camped at Cave Springs Campground in the Jefferson National Forest. No other campers. We took showers in medium cold water. There were owls and a strange sound during the night, probably some kind of hawk.
May 16, 1985
We broke camp at 8:15 and drove to Cumberland Gap National Historic Park. The skies were clear until we were half way up Ridge Trail via Lewis Hollow Trail to Gibson Campground (4 miles). It cleared up while we set up camp and built a fire. Picked up lots of litter. It rained in the late afternoon and on and off during chilly night. Some leaks in the tent. It was an uncomfortable semi-sleepless night.

May 17, 1985

We broke camp at 7:15 and had a miserable wet hike back down, feet squishy, rain gear useless (thru away). We drove into Middleboro, Kentucky for breakfast at Burger King. and did laundry. We drove in mostly rain to Mammoth Cave and camped at Houchens Ferry Primitive Campground.

May 18, 1985

We took a disappointing half day (10:40 - 3:00) Mammoth Cave tour. The only highlight of the 4 mile cave trail was Frozen Niagara. We returned to camp in the afternoon to find that our neighbors had grown to a group of ten couples with kids and dogs. It was a boring afternoon and noisy night with neighbors partying. No sleep. Finally had to scream at them and then they shut-up.

May 19, 1985

The babies were up at 6:00 am. We were up and gone by 7:00 am. We drove west on Highway 62 through Kentucky. Nice sunshine. We stopped in Poplar Bluff, Missouri for groceries and camped at Big Spring Campground on the Current River National Scenic River way. It was a nice quiet campground with hardly any people and a beautiful moving river. We saw one black snake on a walk.

May 20, 1985

We explored Big Spring and the surrounding area, then moved our camp to Round Springs Campground. We were sitting on the edge of the river watching canoers come in, when Hunt and Robin White rowed in with a bunch of their friends in three canoes. (Michael had not seen them for several years) While rowing down the Current River they had encountered water moccasins, one of which the first canoe ran over and it reared its head and attacked the second canoe (it was pissed). A person in the second canoe flipped the snake with a paddle into the third canoe where it left holes in shirts but was flung out successfully without leaving anyone bit.

They also told of rowing passed an accident where they could see a person trapped underwater against a log by the swift current and people trying to retrieve the body.

We moved our camp to Pine Crest Campground to join the Robin and Hunt group where we ate and played poker. It rained most of the night. 

May 21, 1985

We broke camp and headed for Competition and Pauline's place in the country, stopping at Paddy Creek Campground in the Mark Twain National Forest for lunch. 

May 22 thru 26, 1985

We stayed in the country. Michael drove to Kansas City on the 24th and picked up Ryan and Jennifer. On the 26th, Gladys came up from Anderson, Missouri and we decorated the graves of loved ones in the cemetery.

May 27, 1985 thru June 8, 1985

Pauline stayed in the country and the rest of us drove to her home in Independence, Missouri. We took Ryan to school on Tuesday the 28th. On the 29th, we picked Ryan up at school and went to a Red Roof Inn picnic at Lake Jacomo. Thursday the 30th was Ryan’s last day of school and we picked him up at 3:40 in the afternoon. On Saturday the 1st of June, we took Ryan home to his Mothers for the weekend and went to lunch at the Stouffer’s and played Hearts. We had the Bloom's over to Pauline’s for a cook-out. Sunday the 2nd was Pentecost Sunday at the Blue Ridge Presbyterian Church in Raytown where red balloons were tied to the pews. After the service, we launched the balloons southward. Michael picked Ryan up at 7:00 pm. On Monday the 3rd, Michael took Ryan home at 4:00 for a Soccer Picnic then went to a movie (James Bond - "A View To A Kill") and picked Ryan back up at 8:00. The soccer picnic had been rained-out. On Wednesday the 5th of June we went to a Forsyth Travel Library picnic at Sue Marshall’s. The 6th, we went to a cook-out at the Ramsey’s. On Friday the 7th of June, Michael took Ryan to the drive-in to see the "Goonies" and Pauline arrived from the country at 10:30 pm. On the 8th, we had dinner at the Blooms.


June 9, 1985

The Blue Ridge Presbyterian Church held a concert performed by the Manhattan, Kansas High School Band. The Strawberry Festival at church was held indoors because of rain and we played darts and bingo. Michael took Jennifer to see the movie "Rambo" in the afternoon.

June 10 thru 15, 1985

We went to the church baseball game - they won 14 to 7. and Ryan spent the night with Scott Ramsey. On the 11th, Scott and Ryan played together at Pauline’s. We took pizza fixins to the Ramsey’s for dinner and played spades. On Friday the 14th, Pauline took us and John Oliver to dinner at the Rockwood Country club smorgasbord with Al the Whites. The next day, we went to a swimming party at the Oberlander’s with the Ramsey’s, Stouffers, Stilleys, and Lyngars.

June 16, 1985

We left Independence, Missouri with Ryan and Jennifer at 6:00 am and drove to Colorado Springs, Colorado. At 6:00 pm, we were swimming in the Palmer House pool where Kate Dingman worked. We all spent the night with Kate.

June 17, 1985

Michael left Colorado Springs with Ryan and Jennifer at 8:45, Beth stayed with Kate. Michael and the kids drove to Sand Dunes National Monument where they played in the sand and creek, and hiked 2 miles round trip trail from the Pinyon Flats Campground to the Mesas Pass Trail. They went to a Ranger talk that evening.

June 18, 1985

Michael and the kids departed Sand Dunes National Monument at 8:00 am and drove to Mesa Verde National Park, arriving about 1:30 pm. They set up camp at Morfield Campground and toured the museum and Spruce Tree House Ruin. They went to a movie about prehistoric man in the amphitheater and also toured Far View Ruins and enjoyed the majesty of Park Point.

June 19, 1985

Michael and the kids took a bus trip from the visitors center and toured Wetherill and Step House, for 4 hours. In the afternoon, they toured the Mesa Top Ruins by car. The kids were too tired to tour the Balconies (the best ruins), but they saw 25 deer on the way to a Ranger talk.

June 20, 1985

Michael and the kids were up at 7:00 am and drove to Gunnison National Monument. It was a beautiful drive from Durango, Colorado to Ouray, Colorado. They took a driving tour through the park and enjoyed the beautiful canyon. They camped at Campfire Circle Campground and the kids fed the chipmunks and ground squirrels. They also met another family that had followed their same route from Colorado Springs.

June 21, 1985

Michael and the kids broke camp at 6:30 am (144,975 miles) and drove to Colorado Springs. They swam in the Palmer House pool and we all had dinner at a Mexican Restaurant.

June 22, 1985

Kate Dingman was our tour guide to the Cave of the Winds, Garden of the Gods, Ponderosa Inn, and The Air Force Academy. We had Italian Sausage sandwiches for super.

June 23, 1985

We all went on a bus tour of Pikes Peak. Beth and Michael left Colorado Springs with Jennifer and Ryan (145,329 miles) and drove to Lake Dillon. We camped at Giberson Bay Campground.

June 24, 1985

We toured the Keystone Plaza area (Beth had worked at Keystone before meeting Michael). We took the gondola ride to the top of Keystone Mountain and drove over Loveland Pass to Georgetown, Colorado. We took the narrow gauge train ride and Lebanon Mine tour, then drove back to camp on I-70 through the Eisenhower Tunnel. Some rain. We had a camp fire and roasted hot dogs.

June 25, 1985

We broke camp and drove west on I-70 to Glenwood Springs, Colorado. The traffic was held up in Glenwood Canyon where they were widening the road. Michael and the kids swam in the Hot Springs Pool. We continued on through Rifle, Colorado up to Meeker, Colorado then west. We camped in pouring rain at Rio Blanco Lake State Fish & Wildlife Area. Very muddy. We sponged up lots of water leaks in the small tent. 

June 26, 1985

We were up early to spatters of rain mixed with semi-cloudy skies. We broke camp and drove to Dinosaur National Monument. We set up camp at Split Mountain Campground (everything was wet) and toured the quarry area. Michael and the kids drove into Vernal, Utah and toured the Natural History Museum. Beth spent a quiet afternoon enjoying the beautiful campsite on the Green River. We all took a 2 mile walk after super and saw a ranger program on a raft trip down the Green River.

June 27, 1985

Beth fixed a pancake breakfast. Ryan was up early to play with a new friend from two campsites down. We broke camp to drive to the canyon junction of the Green and Yampa Rivers. The ranger at the entrance station had mentioned that the Mormon Crickets were migrating. The herd must have been three miles wide, four inch long brown crickets. We made it to the junction but had had to use the wipers to keep the windshield clear. Their guts were a half inch thick on the sides of the car and very smelly. We didn't stay long at the overlook, and drove back through the migration on the way out. We passed a white mustang going toward the swarm with the top down. We drove highway 40 through Craig and Steamboat Springs and camped at Toponas Creek Campground in the Routt National Forest. Beth took a solitary two mile one way hike and saw a momma bear and her black cub. We had a nice smoky campfire of "quaky" trees.

June 28, 1985

This morning was cold, frosty even. We broke camp and drove to Rocky Mountain National Park via Kremmling and Granby. We camped at Timber Creek Campground and walked through Never Summer Ranch, then drove up to the Alpine Visitors Center and walked out on high tundra point. We took a 2 mile roundtrip hike up to "crater' at Specimen Mountain and saw a herd of Big Horn Sheep (walked through a lot of snow). We went to an excellent ranger talk in the evening.

 June 29, 1985

We drove to Adams Falls Trail for a ranger tour and learned a lot. We went on an afternoon ranger tour of Shepler Cabins on Tidy City Trail. After supper, we walked to Never Summer Ranch. We saw Elk, but the kids scared them away. We went to a ranger talk in the evening.

June 30, 1985

After an 8:30 interdenominational church service, we broke camp and drove over trail ridge road and heard a brief ranger talk on Big Horn Sheep at Sheep's Lake. We had lunch beside the roaring river. At 1:30 we listened to a boring ranger talk on geology. We drove south out of the park through Denver and camped at Bonny Reservation in Eastern Colorado.






Home Big Bend Story • PhotosE-mail MikeHow We Met